Friday, December 3, 2010

A good and gracious God

That is what we serve. A good and gracious God. He has been so good to me and my family. I can't get over what He has shown me in the last few weeks and I don't want to. I mentioned in the last post that we read the book "Radical" by David Platt and it has really messed with me in a good way. It has made me take a serious look at how I live my life and what I spend my time, talent, resources and money on. That last one is a big one. In America we have sold into the "American Dream" where we believe we are "owed" certain things and that our goal in life is to dry a fancy car, live in a big house, have a nice savings account and see how much "stuff" we can accumulate. THAT ISN'T WHAT OUR LIVES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT. That isn't why we are here. That isn't what God has destined for us.....that isn't why Jesus Christ gave his precious life on a old wooden cross....that isn't it. It is soooooo much more. It means so much more. None of that matters. What matters is what did you do for Him. Not what little did you give in your tithe...which many "Christians" don't do to begin with, what did you do above that. I have been praying that God would open my eyes to those in need because it is so easy to get sheltered in our lives and loose sight of those hurting around us. Well let me tell you if you are going to pray a prayer and mean it that God opens your eyes to those in need get ready for it to hurt. It hurts my heart, my mind and my wallet! But my goodness the blessing that comes along to see in someone else's eyes hope restored. Not just doing good but telling those you help why you do it. I have been given that privilege the last couple of weeks and it is AMAZING and contagious. It makes me want to do more. My life is counting, it is making a difference. I am loving people with the love of Jesus. Am I perfect? Absolutely not, just ask my husband. But I have a Savior who loves me with all His heart and He is teaching me how to love Him with all of mine.

The pictures of our recent trip to Gatlinburg. We were blessed by some friends who let us use their cabin and we had a nice family get away.

No comments: