Saturday, February 7, 2009

It is a Great Big Wall














Ok so pictures just don't do it justice. What an amazing site. No wonder it is one of the 7 wonders of the world. So we got there and had to take a cable lift up the mountains (I, Shelley, was scared to death going up. We had another family from Bethany riding up with us and they have a little girl named Anna (adopted from China over four years ago) and she kept saying "Scott if you move too fast in here we will all fall and be doomed" over and over so that was NOT helping my nerves. But it was worth the few minutes of fear to see something so marvelous. And let me tell you Stairmaster has nothing on the Great Wall. It was a work out and a half. The steepness of the steps was horrifying. We saw a couple of people slip down them. CRAZY. Scott decided to venture further than me and as soon as he left me I was surrounded by people talking to me in Chinese and taking my picture. I started to get a little nervous because I was on this great big wall by myself, people speaking some foreign unknown language taking my picture. I can see why celebrities get sick of the paparrazzi. Scott got a little upset because they didn't want his picture as much as they wanted mine and if they didn't take my picture they stared. But I tried to smile and represent America well.

Going back down the mountain wasn't too fun for me either. Scott loved it. I told him NOT to move. He got a picture of me that I think shows my fear well. I truly enjoyed climbing the Great Wall but I really enjoyed my feet hitting solid ground again. After we got off we went to a authentic Chinese/Jade Factory Restuarant. I enjoyed it ....Scott did not. So we are having Pepperoni Pizza for dinner tonight.

We get Anna in less than 24 hours from now. It is hard to believe. I have been very emotional today thinking of her and that in less than a day she'll be with us forever. WOW is all I can say. Next post our family will have grown by one.

Thanks for the comments. It really makes us feel like we aren't so far from home. Please continue to leave comments. We are reading each and everyone.



Love

Scott and Shelley
Here is the picture of me in the cable car (and this was near the bottom)

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Shell, we are watching and reading with excitement. Your mother and daddy are here with Katie and me now, so we are all four reading eagerly. Thanks for the updates. You must be having a blast. Oh, and nice use of the future perfect tense ('our family will have grown'). It's not often one encounters this anymore in American English.

TML

Anonymous said...

Whoa...so many experiences in so little time! So many emotions too! Thank you for blogging this experience, I get up every morning eager to check the blog! I can't wait to get up tomorrow morning to see your baby girl on here with YOU! All my love and joy. CK

Anonymous said...

How amazing the pictures are! Thanks for letting us be a part of the experience. It must be hard to absorb so many sites and experiences in so short a time! Of course the best one will happen tomorrow. Can't wait to see the pictures, not only of Anna but of you both with her.
Love to you both,
Anna's Grenny and Papaw

Heather said...

ohhhh, I remember the food at the Jade Factory. I also enjoyed it. However, nothing beats Lucy's in GZ. Tell Scott that cheeseburger and french fries await him there!! Can't wait to see you with your girl!!
Heather (MDMOM)

Unknown said...

Shelley and Scott,

We are SO thrilled for you. The pictures of the great big wall are AMAZING! We cannot wait to see Anna tonight/tomorrow/whenever it is for you/us :)

We love you and are thinking about you all day long as you anticipate meeting your sweet little baby girl and finally holding her in your arms.

Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Shelley and Scott,

Great pictures. Thinking every moment that you're getting closer to having Anna. Can't wait for those pictures. Stay safe.

Love and Prayers,

Mother

p.s. Daddy really likes the pictures and thinks they are really beautiful

Jess Danielson said...

Shelly-what a great wall adventure you had. Aparantly your famous over there :-) I can't wait to read about your gotcha day!!

Unknown said...

Shell, I wonder if you've had time to discuss Wen Jiabao's remarks that China has purposely kept the value of their currency from 15-40% below what would be the free exchange rate. China reportedly has foreign currency reserves of $2 trillion. These are important figures with far-reaching implications for the current global economy. I wonder what your thoughts are. Could you share?

Mustang Dude said...

Well Scott and Shelley I am very slow checking my email so this is the first day I have seen the blog. I see ya'll are having a great time. I have seen those mountains twice from about the same view. Good luck tomorrow and I will be checking on your progress as much as I can. I will be going to work Monday. I assume you know who this is. All 3 of you are in our prayers. Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

Shelley...that last pic of you says it all. I can tell you were scared and ready to get back on flat land!! I can not believe it is tomorrow...I can NOT wait to see Anna and you with her...her mom!! I will be praying for you guys!! I am reading everyday...it's actually the hightlight of my day!
Stacy Harrell

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Not much longer now!! Still sending our prayers. Just to let ya know, You get Anna on my birthday!!! We can't wait to see the pictures of that little angel!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley!

I've been enjoying following you and Scott around China~! Soon you will have your precious Anna in your arms. Between watching you guys and Denise, I feel like I'm there again for our Anna. Have a wonderful time. I'm praying for your safety, health and a grand time! :) Hugs to you all and please give Denise a hug for me, too..

Holly M. from the China forum.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, Shelley,

I felt the same way on the cable car to the Great Wall and down again! My toes curled to "hold on" when you were describing your ride, but I did sort of giggle at your picture!! :) Be safe!

Unknown said...

Scott and Shell,

ROD AND GINGER'S SKYPE NOT WORKING. CALL OURS AT tmlkml (OUR SKYPE NAME).

Anonymous said...

stopped by before heading to bed to say IT WON'T BE LONG NOW!!!!!!! Can't wait to wake up and see pics of you holding Anna!!!!

(((hugs)))
Julie M. from the bb

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am so excited! I remember "Gotcha Day"! I had butterflies all the way to get Braysen! David and I were so happy to finally get to bring him home!! Well, you know! It's 10:20pm here, so I am wondering if you guys are on your way, right now??? I cannot wait to see the video! I will have my Kleenex ready! I can't wait to see that sweet baby!
Love you guys!! ~Cassandra~

Brandi said...

Shelley, I have been praying for you and will continue to. I know you are so excited!! Can't wait to see the pic from "Gotcha Day"!!
~Brandi

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am still up (11:50pm)..Praying for you guys..I hope you have her now.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelley and Scott! Debbie and I are looking at y'alls exciting journey! She is beautiful and both of you look like you are already enjoying "parenthood!" Can't wait to see you on the 19th!
Lynda & Debbie