Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wow what a night


















Well last night was rough. Anna went to bed perfectly fine. But about 11:30 p.m. she woke up screaming at the top of her lungs. Everything I tried didn't work. She didn't want a bottle, she wasn't dirty, for a while I just held her why she screamed thinking she was grieving and the unfamiliarity of it all. Finally I thought maybe she has trapped gas. So I was able to get some gas relief drops down her which only made her more upset. I was sure we were waking up everyone on our floor. It was SOOO loud. So Scott threw on some clothes and Anna her in pajamas, me in my pajamas and Scott went down to the lobby. I didn't care that I was walking around in my pj's. We had her in the stroller because she didn't want us to hold her. Well, while we were walking an older Chinese lady stopped me and grabbed Anna. I was telling her no but she was not listening to me. After about a minute, I went over and got Anna out of the lady's arms. I don't know what she thought of that but I was not comfortable with her grabbing Anna like that plus Anna wasn't being comforted by that. So then we walked some more. She started to calm down. She finally burped really loud and she laughed and she was back to her happy self. (This was after almost an hour of her screaming at the top of her lungs.) We were still in the lobby, so I handed her to Scott and went in the lobby bathroom and cried my eyes out. I felt so horrible for not figuring it out sooner that she had gas issues.

So today she is doing MUCH, MUCH better. We have gone back to formula and congee which is a type of rice cereal. She seems to like it very much. We took Visa pictures today and red couch pictures. It is a tradition that the babies are dressed up in traditional outfits and all take a picture together on the red couch. Anna didn't like it. She is one of the two that really cried. She just wasn't sure what was going on. But we got the pictures, just excuse the fact that she is crying. We are hoping tonight goes much better. We are enjoying our time (minus last night) but are ready to come home.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelley,
Don't worry about not being able to figure out what was wrong right away. Remember our ER visit with Braysen? --it was gas.. I wish I would have known that too. It would've saved some $$. You are doing a wonderful job! I know just how you feel with the air conditioning, cheeseburger and french fries!!! When I got on the plane and got a real Diet Coke, it made my eyes water!!! Braysen has a happy for Anna when we see you guys Thursday. --less than a week!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
Love you guys!
David, Cassandra, and Braysen

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so good! Her dress is really beautiful and looked so good on her. Y'all are building so many precious memories (remember the night we walked in the lobby of the hotel in China with me in my PJs??)
You are both doing great!! Gas is a real "stinker",it makes little ones hurt so bad. Won't be long now, we'll see you Thursday. Love to all.
Mom and Dad (Grenny and Papaw)

Heather said...

Shelley,
My second son was the SAME WAY! When we would finally put him down and let him cry it out you would have thought a grown man was in his crib passing gas! :) Until you get home and figure Anna out, you can put a couple of those drops of anti-gas meds IN each bottle. It won't hurt her at all!! I did it for a year with my son. That might help with gas during all the upcoming travel.
Love,
Heather

Jess Danielson said...

Oh Shelly we all go through this-even those of us who has btdt. My dd never had gas issues, but my son....he was another story. I am so glad Anna has you to comfort her now though. You are both doing a great job!
Jess
SoonMomTo3

Anonymous said...

Shelley,

Don't worry about the gas thing.

If she screams again, uncontrollably, try taking her outside. Cami screamed on Gotcha Day and taking her outside was the only thing that calmed her down. They're distracted by all the sights and sounds.

I've enjoyed following your blog. Anna is so precious.

Jenny (domestic engineer)

Anonymous said...

oh Shelley, Samuel had gas for the first two months! After about a week of screaming, we figured it out! Don't worry...I know you're doing great. I love you bunches!

Theryssa

The Hill Family said...

Welcome to parenthood :) Unfortunately, there will be many more of those crying fits and not knowing what is going on...but you will soon learn each other! Hang in there, you're almost home. love and miss ya!

MommaAsh said...

Oh Shelley Shelley Shelley!!! I started laughing when I read that Anna burped and laughed and then you cried...you know why I laugh??? Cause this just proves you are a REAL mommy!! :) HA HA!!!

I cant tell you how many times gas has done this to us...keep your head up because that is milestone for all mom's to experience! And I dont blame you for being weirded out by the lady who took Anna...I may have beat her up! LOL :) Cant wait to see you!

Brandi said...

Bless your heart!! (And Anna's) What ever you fed her, don't feed it to her again! :) This happened to me when I was nursing Maddie. I could not figure out what was wrong. I would keep calling the dr thinking she had colic. Come to find out it was something I was eating that was making her belly hurt.

It must be the Chinese culture because that happened to us in a chinese restaurant. Chloe was upset about something and the waitress just picked her up out of the high chair and took her off. Wes jumped out of the seat and told her not to do that again. It scared us to death but I know (now) that she didn't mean anything by it. She just thought she was helping I guess.

Can't wait until Thursday!!

Love ya,
Brandi

Ashley said...

You are doing a wonderful job, Shelley and Scott! The love is so evident that you have for Anna.