Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One on the go little girl
















We are doing well. Anna is such a happy baby. She very rarely cries. She threw a fit last night because I didn't get the baby food opened soon enough. We are still trying to learn her schedule and her cues for food. She is an eater. She eats anything. She loves food. So far we haven't found anything that she doesn't like or that scares her. She has been a little trooper.

Monday we did the paperwork for China's side of the adoption. I'm glad it is over. It really is a formality but still we were nervous. Anna's nannies came. An older lady must have been her main nanny. As soon as she came through the door, she grabbed Anna and held her for a long time. We have a picture with the nannies that I'll attach.

Tuesday we went to the local park. It was beautiful. As soon as we got out of the van, we were surrounded by Chinese people. They all wanted to see Anna. Many of them commented on how beautiful she was. A lot of them were happy we came to adopt her. Our guide has been wonderful. I think she likes that I'm a teacher. She ask me all about it. Education is very, very important here. After the park, we went to a traditional tea ceremony. It was incredible. The tea was pretty good. Anna loved it. She wanted to hold the cup but it was hot. I was afraid it would be too hot for her but she drank it up. We enjoyed it too. We then went to Pizza Hut. We both said it was the best pizza we have ever eaten. The food here is different. So for the last two days we have eaten very little but we had a pepperoni pizza for lunch today and it was wonderful.

Last night was the biggest day of Chinese New Year-Red Latern Festival. There were thousands of red laterns everywhere and fireworks. Our room faces the Min River and we can see for miles around Fuzhou. Well last night we saw no less than 10 displays of fireworks all over the city from our room. It was cool at first but it went on for like 5 hours. It was a constant boom, boom, boom for five hours. I was afraid Anna wouldn't sleep but she did fine. I on the other hand did not. I woke up at 1:45 and Scott happened to be awake. We talked for a few minutes and I started crying. Mainly because I was tired and not sleeping but also because I guess the reality of parenthood hit me. I don't want to mess up with Anna. I know I will but she deserves the best in the world. She hasn't had a mommy and daddy for 19 months and I wonder if I'll be a good mommy to her. I know this is such an emotional time for all of us. Plus the fact that we dont have anything familiar makes it hard. But it is a good thing because it helps us see what Anna will go through when we take her to the USA.

We are having a great time. We are seeing some incredible sights and trying some new things. Not to mention waking up every morning to a beautiful sweet baby. She is such a wonderful baby. We love her so much. We are trying to take everything in and really enjoy our time in China. However, we both are ready to come home. We miss you all. Thank you so much for your comments. We both read them all....sometimes several times. Ok I guess I needed to talk. If you are still reading, thanks. I'll sign off for now. We are taking Anna for a walk in the park.

Love you all, Shelley and Scott and Anna

**If you haven't seen it yet, the Gotcha Video is below this post.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shelley. Hang in there. You will be home soon and we will be here for YOU! (and Scott & Anna) I know for sure that you will be provided with everything you need to raise Anna. She will most likely teach you more than you will teach her! Children are a gift and you have been given a very special gift! We love you. CK

Anonymous said...

Ok! We are so going to talk about that when you get home and I get my first chance! I will leave another comment about that later today. I have to get Braysen ready for school, but oh my goodness! You are a wonderful mom already!! I will have more to say later! I will email you!
From one Russian mom to a great China mom!!
Cassandra

Michelle & Mike said...

Ok, the ladybug jammies are so precious! I love them and I'm so happy for you. Even though I don't know you guys, its so great to see how happy you are. You give us hope that it will soon be a reality for us, too. We hope to be there in a month!
Have a good time!
Our blog is at: www.praying4hannah.blogspot.com/

Michelle
in Indiana

Anonymous said...

Shelley, I love what your sister said in her comment--children are a gift-and the comment- that she will teach you more than you will teach her. It is a life long learning process,parenthood. Every parent I've known feels inadequate at times, especially when the reality sets in those first few weeks, or the first time she is sick, but God is sufficient and He will provide the skills and strength you and Scott will need.
Hang in there you are doing a great job! We can't wait to see all three of you!!!! We love you--
Mom and Dad (Anna's Grenny and Papaw)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say how precious the pictures are. I love the tea ceremony and the bath. In the picture where the Nannies are holding her she looks like she would much rather be with you! The park was beautiful, I just don't think about tulips growing in China. Looks like you are having a great time, enjoy every minute of it. We love you all--
Mom (Anna's Grenny)

Anonymous said...

Shelley~ I know you will be an AWESOME mom! In my eyes, you have been a mom for years now, just without a child. Now God has blessed you with an amazing daughter and I have no doubt that you and Scott will do a wonderful job raising her!! I hope that made sense :) Anyway, I know I've said it 100 times, but we can't wait to see all 3 of you!!

Miss yall,
Janice

Anonymous said...

Shelley Ann, You are the mother that God has planned for Anna. His plans for her will be accomplished much in part through you and Scott. There is no perfect child (though like Anna, many come very close) and there are no perfect parents, BUT our God does supply all our needs including what we desire from Him to equip us for parenting. You are doing GREAT! I cannot wait for the blessings ahead for her, you, Scott and our families.
Love and prayers,
Anna's Nana

The Hill Family said...

I love the bow!! She looks so cute. Can't wait to kiss all over those beautiful cheeks! Hnag in there...we all have those moments. I think there would be something wrong if you didn't question your parenting every once in a while...that is what will make you a wonderful mother. Can't wait to see you soon. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Shelley...you are a great mom. I would be feeling the exact same way you are feeling. This is all new for you and you are in a strange place with no family or friend support. Just try to enjoy every moment...we are all praying for you guys!! Anna is so beautiful....just give her love!!
See you soon, Stacy Harrell

Anonymous said...

Shelly, we missed you at Bunco last night. But, I know you are EXACTLY where you're supposed to be...getting your daughter. Karen emailed me your blogspot this morning...and I've been sitting at work for an hour reading and looking at all your pictures....AND CRYING! I know we don't know each other very well, but you are in my heart and my prayers. YOU ARE A MOMMY AND A GREAT ONE ALREADY! I'm so happy for you that words do not even express what I feel for you guys. I can't wait to meet Anna hopefully soon. Have a great time in China, it's a once in a lifetime trip.

Love your bunco buddy,
Casey Ford

Anonymous said...

Shelley, I love the pictures! She is adorable! She looks so well-adjusted and comfortable. I love that. YOU are going to be such a blessing to Anna as her Mommy. I know exactly what you are talking about...I feel inadequate sometimes too. God has given you this incredible gift and HE will guide you. Just love her and teach her to love HIM. I love you, girl!

Roomdog

Brandi said...

God is SO good!!!

BTW, I love the bows! See you are getting the hang of it already. :)

Love ya,
Brandi

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!
Check your email! I have emailed my "pep talk" to you!

You are already wonderful parents, and just to say this: While you and Scott were doing paperwork and waiting for OVER 19 months, God was preparing you for her. Also, while she has been on this earth for 19 months, God has been holding her. Now, He is holding all 3 of you as a family, and He has a GREAT purpose for Anna!

Love you guys,
Cassandra

Stacy said...

Shelly, Scott, LOVE those ladybugs. I knew they would be on
Anna very soon. Be safe, take care and enjoy the journey. God is so GOOD and always with you. Stacy(school)

Anonymous said...

She is such a doll. Hang in there,you are tired and in a new place. It is normal to get emotional. Try to get enough rest and relax!!
Have fun with Anna.

Pam
BBoards

Anonymous said...

Scott and Shelley,
Congratulations. What a beautiful little girl. She is lucky to have the two of you as parents. Can't wait for you to get home and to meet Anna.
Love, Jo Miles-Seely

Anonymous said...

I still am awed by God's precious gift of your family. Anna seems so content and at home with you! I mean, it has to be a sign from God that this is Shelley's little girl when she looks so natural holding a stuffed lady bug and looks so beautiful in red and black! :) I miss you tons and can't wait for you all to get home!

Love,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Shelly, Scott and Anna,
Anna is so beautiful!! The bows in her hair are precious!! You and Scott look like naturals with Anna, and she looks completly comfortable with both of you, like she has been with your from day 1! God has gotten Anna ready for you both and you for her!! She is precious. Can't wait to see you!!
Love, Carrie Waller

Regina said...

Shelley, what you are feeling emotionally every new mom goes through that. The first night that we had Jamie at home, I can still remember watching him sleep in his cradle and crying because I felt so unqualified to be a mother!
I wrote him a letter in his baby book that was written in the form of a prayer that night. I told him how much that I loved him and wished that I could shelter and protect him from things that he would have to face in this world. I dedicated his life that night to God and asked for His divine guidance in the choices that Alan and I made in how we raised him. Have we messed up? Oh Yeah!!!! As our kids grow up so do we continue to grow and change. It is amazing still to me how God uses my kids to teach me or reveal something that He wants me to know. You guys are going to be awesome parents to Anna. We love you and can't wait to see you when you get back. Take care - Alan and Regina

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL daughter you have, Shelly!!! Congrats again!
I remember waking up with the same feelings as you in China (overwhelming feelings) and we've already raised two sons. What you're feeling is normal. As soon as we received our Anna, we were homesick and wanted all of our family. Hang on, you'll be home before you know it and into a new normal!!! A very happy one!!

Anonymous said...

Shelley,
Hang in there girl. I know it's hard. Once you have that babe in your arms your like "okay I want to go home now!" Looking back, we LOVED our time in China....and missed China when we came home. I'm dying to get back there!!!!! You'll be home before you know it...just soak it all in and enjoy getting to know your little girl. The lack of sleep is not helping either. If Anna won't sleep, maybe take turns walking her for a few hours while the other one gets a nap...the switch. Just a thought!

All moms go thru the "I don't want to screw up my kid" thoughts...and this won't be your last time! Amanda had a rough night getting to sleep the night before her 3rd birthday this week. My heart broke for her....thinking here's another anniversary anxiety attack for her. And she's been home over two years! I have those moments with my son too. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's a VERY emotional time....lack of sleep and when you do it's not in your own bed, strange food (not eating enough to sustain yourself), jetlag all add to the emotion and make them stronger than they really are.

Hang tight, pray, enjoy the beautiful scenes, giggle with your little girl. ENJOY your time....home can wait. This trip is once in a life time...soak it all in and it'll feel that much better when you get home in your own bed with your own pillow and have familiar foods to eat!

Hugs and prayers,
Julie M from the BB (Maryland)